Friday, April 11, 2008

Tasers

There is currently a series of three bills in the Michigan State House (5754,5755 and 5756) that would allow CPL holders to carry a Taser. Currently it is a 4 year felony for civilians to possess these in Michigan although about 43 other states do allow their citizens to use them.

I support this legislation as I believe it would provide another tool for citizens to protect themselves. I do know that there are people today who would never carry a firearm but would consider other "non-lethal" forms of self defense such as the Taser. I sell a lot of pepper spray to women who would never even consider touching a firearm.

The only reservation I have is the hassle necessary to carry one. First you have to have a CPL license (I guess they are doing this so that background checks don't have to be done) and you must receive specific Taser training. The units themselves are fairly expensive (at least $350) and must be activated after you purchase it.

If you support this legislation please let your Representative know.

No comments: