Saturday, January 26, 2008

Shooting with gloves

A few days ago the high temperature here was 6 degrees – and that’s not counting the wind chill. When it gets this cold I usually wear gloves whenever I’m outside. So the question of the day is, how much do you practice shooting with gloves?

Whenever I plow my shooting range in the winter I practice shooting my carry gun with the gloves I typically wear. I can tell you that it is an entirely different feel and if you don’t practice it you might be quite surprised if you are forced to shoot when in this situation.

The first big issue is that many of the normal winter gloves are too thick to even put your finger in the trigger guard. Unless I’m snowmobiling I wear Hatch shooting gloves and I give up a little warmth in order to be able to shoot with them on.

The second issue is that the feel of the gun in your hand and especially the trigger pull are vastly different. The only thing you can do is to practice, practice and practice some more. The good news is that most of this can be done during dry fire exercises. PLEASE make sure the gun is unloaded before trying this!

So if you EVER carry your gun in the winter, you owe is to yourself to practice shooting with your gloves on.

No comments: