Friday, March 28, 2008

Therapy Thursdays


I have a tradition with a friend of mine where we occasionally get together on Thursday's and meet for lunch and do a little shooting. Yesterday was the first Therapy Thursday of 2008. Although the temperature was in the low 30's and the range was still covered in ice and snow we did not let the conditions slow us down one bit.

My buddy had a new MSAR STG AUG that he wanted to test. I have always thought that these were ugly guns but after spending some time behind the trigger their functionality is amazing. The balance is superb, even with the 42 round magazine and they weigh even less than a standard 16" AR-15. The gun came with a half power scope that worked fairly well although I think a red dot would be more versatile - particularly an Aimpoint T-1. This is certainly not a long range gun but I think it would be great in CQB situations - especially in a building.

The only negative comments I had was that it uses proprietary magazines (it would be nice if it used standard AR-15 mags) and the trigger has a long reset and fairly heavy pull. I did not have my timer with me but split times are much longer than a good AR.

I also brought out my new Kotonics AR-15 in 6.8 SPC to wring out but I'll leave that review for another post.

All in all it was a great day of good conversation and fine shooting.

No comments: